Ex-England boss Sam Allardyce has said “entrapment has won” after newspaper allegations led to him stepping down as manager of the national side.
Allardyce left in disgrace after just 67 days after The Daily Telegraph said he advised undercover reporters posing as businessmen how to “get around” player transfer rules.
He said it was a “silly thing to do”.
But when asked if it was his last job in management, the 61-year-old said: “Who knows? We’ll wait and see.”
“Unfortunately it was an error of judgement on my behalf,” added the former Sunderland manager. “I’ve paid the consequences. Entrapment has won on this occasion and I have to accept that.”
Earlier, he told Sky Sports he had only attended the meeting with the undercover reporters as a favour to friend and agent Scott McGarvey, who he says was hoping to land a job out of it.
The former Bolton, West Ham, Newcastle, Notts County and Blackburn boss was appointed England manager in July after Roy Hodgson left the role following the side’s last-16 defeat by Iceland at Euro 2016.
The Football Association called his conduct “inappropriate” and said his contract was ended by mutual consent.
Speaking to reporters outside his home on Wednesday, Allardyce said: “The agreement was done very amicably with The FA and I apologise to those and all concerned in the unfortunate position I’ve put myself in.”
Allardyce also wished “all the very best” to England Under-21s manager Gareth Southgate, who will take charge of the national side for the next four games, as well as the players and staff.
England’s next match is a 2018 World Cup qualifier against Malta at Wembley on Saturday, 8 October. Malta lost 5-1 to Scotland earlier this month. bbc